art heals.


life is a funny thing.  it really really is.  it is such a journey, adventure....a place to experience what you may dream of, hope for...and those little unexpected curve balls that just happen to show up. you know....we all know those curve balls.

this project is a very personal one for me.  this month i had one of those curve balls.  and although it was nothing serious as compared to what many other people deal with on a day to day basis it still really took me to a place of new emotions, thoughts and fears that i did not have prior. and to be honest there were some days and afternoons where the THINKING was making me crazy. the over thinking. the ruminating...the play over and over in my mind of my own questions, the unknown, the future. you know...ALL that that i cannot control and is out of my hands.


i know that this type of thinking is COMPLETELY unproductive. it needed to stop. for me, for those around me. for my health.  i just cannot handle that anxiety.  so of course, trying to turn to more productive means of coping and consciously steering me away from what i used to do (comfort eat....) i threw myself into one of my favourite places on this earth. my scrapbook room. this place is my haven. truly.  i am so blessed to have a place to lose myself and just let thing GO. create, celebrate, remember...just all of that happens here and more.  

i was looking through my stash and turned to this BEAUTIFUL Heidi Swapp Chipboard Embossed Binder Album that is a BRAND NEW release to the Heidi Swapp Michaels collection.  probably my FAVOURITE release to the collection, (well one of them anyway)....i knew that this book would be the perfect home to document and create some art to heal.  these types of albums are becoming SO popular and are truly just an amazing place to create scrapbooks and art.  they are so perfect for art journals especially. the hard sturdy cover, binder rings, fun size...i love it all.  


i really had NO plan in mind. i just wanted to let go and DO.  i created this simple front cover collage by using my silhouette cameo to cut out some butterfly cuts. i just used plain white card stock and then used Heidi Swapp Color Shine in Mint Green and Gold Lame (sprayed over top each other) to create the color. i then painted the chipboard front with some white acrylic paint and added some light green edging.  I then layered the flat paper elements (butterflies, definition stickers, sentiment stickers) and then sealed it all with layers of mod podge.  i then finished it off with some Heidi Swapp Color Magic butterflies (that i sprayed with Black Velvet Color Shine), a Color Magic Paper butterfly and some Heidi Swapp Color Magic Seam Binding.  i even added some stickles overtop the chipboard butterflies. i loved this effect. just art.  i truly let go of the idea of needing to "be perfect". i just wanted to have fun. i just wanted to release my anxiety.




here is a look inside of my album.  each and every page i created was solely on impulse and what i was thinking or feeling at that particular moment.  it either highlights a favourite title or phrase, or quote that i love.  it is truly a mix.  i also love this project because it is really a collection of using my scraps and tid bits of supplies that i have on hand just looking for the perfect home.  i created all my titles in my silhouette software, cut them out using just plain white cardstock and then misting the letters with various colors of Heidi Swapp Color Shine.  it is such a perfect way to customize titles for pages and layouts! i LOVE this technique and use it over and over and over... ;)



this album also encompasses some of the cutest and adorable photo sleeve protectors.  this is one of my favourite page protectors that comes with the album, so i loaded it with some of my FAVOURITE and most treasured instagram memories from the last little while.  these just make me feel happy, blessed and reassured.  that is exactly what my goal is when i revisit and look through this album.  i want to be transported back to THIS place.  THESE emotions, THIS space, where it just feels good.


this page below is one of my favourites so far.  and it is SO true. my head is ALWAYS in the clouds.  i am always dreaming, envisioning, creating, writing....i am NEVER really here in the everyday.  i mean, i am BUT i just love to be artistic. in everything i do. it is such a part of me and it keeps growing and evolving each and every day. 


this next page was actually pretty emotional for me to create.  i do feel afraid lately. i guess more uncertain...in any case i just need to work on always reminding me to BE BRAVE.


this is the page i created late last night.  i found this quote on facebook and it has always stuck with me. i knew i had to include it as part of this book.


one last look at the cover.
this has truly began a really amazing artistic and creative release for me.  i am looking forward to creating more pages, experimenting with "imperfection" and just having fun with some ART. this so far has been such a helpful experience for me.  really easing my mind and helping me to let go of things that i felt were weighing on my shoulders. each and every day is still work, a journey...the fear of the unknown...i know we all share it.

however in the meantime i am just having so much fun celebrating what i love, doing what i love and creating....truly an awesome blessing.


i hope this project has inspired you to let art heal you, or at least set you on a path to healing, letting go and releasing all that we wish we could change but cannot.

wishing you a beautiful beautiful day.
XOXO






12 comments

  1. Oh my, Lindsay! You made me tear up.. Seriously! I'm going through something difficult & trying in my life. I just wish I had the know on how to truly express in words. Thank you for the inspiration! Hey... I made an appearance in your book. Yay! Definitely, art inspires & heals. So grateful for what I do & I too have my own favorite places.. My craft room. Hugs xoxo -D

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gracious, lindsay bateman!!!
    this is so amazing.
    i want to sit in front of you while you walk me through this and teach me this amazing project.
    Ho.Ly. It is amazing.
    You have a way of reaching into yourself and being honest and then bringing it forth in an amazing and beautiful artful way.
    I adore that.
    You have inspired. again!
    ~j

    ReplyDelete
  3. simply beauty*FULL...
    (thank you for sharing)
    xoxo...
    ~p

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my dear sweet lb...this is an amazing book. I am so envious of your style...it's gorgeous and raw and real and you really know just what you need to do. It's not just what you are journaling about, it's also the way your journal - how it looks, how it fits, how everything just...fits. It just fits. It's just right. It's just you. And it's perfect. I love this. And I love you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful. I appreciate how open you're willing to be - very touching. Your viewpoint about letting imperfection just be, and letting your creativity flow is priceless advice. I had the worst case of "blank canvas syndrome" until I allowed myself to play. I always admired Heidi Swapp and thanks to her and natural born artists like you I'm enjoying the absolute fun of working with all these yummy Color Shine sprays and paper shapes. I hope you know how much influence your beautiful work has on so many people you've never met. XXOO - Linny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omgosh Linny....i cannot even begin to describe what reading this did to me and how it made me feel. Seriously...INSTANT tears. I am truly humbled....XOXOXO

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love your project, and really enjoyed reading about your process of helping you de-stress, something we all need to learn how to do and becoming more intune with our inner self. I clicked over to your instragram feed and saw a book something about Imperfection-can you give me the title and author if you know it, I'd love to look into getting my hands on it.
    Thanks again for sharing,
    T~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy! WOW! Thank you SO much for your comment...that means alot. Yes...the book is called "The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who you Are, Your Guide to a Wholehearted Life" by Brene Brown. It is an amazing read!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, I'm off to track it down. Have a great day

      Delete
  7. I LOVE this album and what a great topic and way to document your thoughts and feelings!!!! YOu are so amazing! I LOVE what you do!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww WOW Lynn....thank you! that means SO much....as i admire YOU and your incredible talents immensely! you are a true GEM! XOXO thank you so much for taking the time to comment. hugs!

      Delete

Back to Top